Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Student Reaction to Tzniut

First off I just want to mention that I love reading the blog and I’ve really enjoyed reading the posts on this topic and the one about colleges.

So I don’t know about most people but I know that I personally have never really gone through that change where I started dressing more tzniutly. Once I turned 12 I just took it upon myself to always wear skirts that cover my knee and wear shirts that came high enough and sleeves that came past my elbow. I believe that I chose to do this based on the people I was friends with in school, so I never really went through I transformation. I do strongly believe in the way I dress though. Over the years I’ve grown into the way I dress and it really has become a part of who I am and how I am defined as a person. I personally think that elbows and knees are really ugly so there isn’t any reason to want to show them, but at the same time I also think that there are some things that are only meant for your husband.

Now I don’t know if I would go as far as saying that tzniut is more important than davening (but I don’t think that it is less important either, I think it is two separate issues) because if you think about it, davening is something between you and G-d, something that no one else is a part of other than yourself. Tzniut on the other hand, is something that G-d sees as well as others. The sense of intimacy with G-d when davening is done in one’s own privacy, while the tzniut aspect is shown to the world.

As Mrs. Knoll said, “tzniut is not just about the clothing we wear, it’s not even just about the way we behave and carry ourselves.” I think that the way we behave and carry ourselves either sets a kiddush Hashem or a chilul Hashem so why would people want to represent themselves badly? Don’t you realize that EVERYONE is looking? I definitely agree with Mrs. Knoll when she said that the way we dress and carry ourselves shows a sense of dignity and self-worth. We were all made b’tzelem Elokim and the image of G-d that we walk around with shouldn't be treated inappropriately. It shows that you respect yourself and the body that Hashem gave you.

As I said earlier, the way I dress has become a part of who I am and how I am defined as a person. This is a good and bad thing. Although the way people judge me happens to be for what I really am, the basis for their judging is completely incorrect. For example, my friend’s boyfriend only knew of me and thought I was weird just because I dress “frum,” but once he got to know me through her, he realized that I’m not that weird girl that he thought I was. As we can see, unfortunately, people do judge you by the way you look and why would you want to make a bad name for yourself?

Relating back to the theme of Shabbaton, every single one of us has the CHOICE to represent ourselves in a way that we want to be seen. I wish that everyone could see this as easily as I see it, and I hope that this makes an impression on everyone.

Thanks Mrs. Knoll for posing some grand-slam topics!

Rebecca Schenker

No comments: