Saturday, November 21, 2009

On Modern Orthodoxy

A student asks:
So, tonight, on my nightly visit to the blog, I was reviewing the articles on tzniut and college and stuff when I came across the term "Modern Orthodoxy." Now I know this term is repeated like a billion times a day but I never actually thought about it and now that I am thinking about it I realize that i have no idea what it means. And I’m trying to figure out which part is "modern" and which part is "Orthodox" and how did they chose what would be modern and what would be Orthodox? and if I’m Modern Orthodox, how do I decide what about me and my Torah observance is modern and what is Orthodox? So as a "Modern Orthodox" Jew, I'm wondering if you could tell me what Modern Orthodox is???

First of all, thank you for sharing this wonderful question. The definition of Modern Orthodoxy is a nuanced issue, and one with which you will engage seriously in different academic contexts over the course of high school. In 10th grade Jewish History and 11th grade Jewish Philosophy, for example, you will approach this question extensively from different angles, exploring sources on the topics as well as hearing from different speakers. I’d like to offer just the beginning of an answer to your question.

Modern Orthodoxy is sometimes stereotyped as simply representing a less rigorous adherence to halakha. Colloquially, people often use the phrase “Modern” to describe someone who is not fully committed to halakha. This is simply a perversion of what truly constitutes Modern Orthodoxy as an ideology. Modern Orthodoxy, in its ideal form, represents a full and passionate dedication to Torah Judaism and halakhic observance, which also incorporates certain specific values.

There are three beliefs that I view as defining Modern Orthodoxy, although others might take different positions on this. The first is a belief in the inherent value of secular knowledge. Modern Orthodoxy values intellectual engagement with general culture, not only for the purpose of earning a livelihood, but also in order to understand the world more fully. We view the study of literature, science, and other bodies of knowledge not simply as a practical necessity or a bedieved, but as an intrinsically worthwhile pursuit that enables us to be more reflective and knowledgeable people.

The second defining feature of Modern Orthodoxy, I believe, is religious Zionism. While all sectors of Orthodoxy believe that Eretz Yisrael has intrinsic kedusha, Modern Orthodox Jews also support the existence of Medinat Yisrael and believe in contributing to the protection and strengthening of the state. For example, Yeshivot Hesder provide a framework for combining yeshiva study with army service.

The third distinguishing value of Modern Orthodoxy is an openness to increased opportunities for women, particularly in the realm of Talmud Torah. For example, all Modern Orthodox schools with which I am familiar provide some opportunity for girls to learn Torah She-be-al Peh, whether as a major or minor component of the curriculum. In addition to increased opportunities for women to learn Torah, Modern Orthodoxy is fully supportive of women’s engagement in academic and professional pursuits.

Thanks for sharing this thoughtful question! I’d be happy to talk about this with you in person if you want to discuss it further.

No comments: