Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Heartbeats

First of all, I want to give a huge yasher koach to the organizers, performers, audience, and everyone who contributed to this amazing event. I feel so privileged to be in a school with students, faculty, and a parent body who are so committed to Chessed.
Two things came to mind tonight while I was watching the amazing performance.
The first is a Gemara in Masechet Ta'anit and Makkot in which Rebi states, "Harbeh Torah Lamaditi M'Rabotai, u'mechaverai yoter mehem, umeitalmidai yoter m'kulan"-- I learned alot of Torah from my teachers, and from my peers I learned even more, and from my students I learned more than from them (my teachers and peers).
The fact that despite your busy schedules you have been involved in this tremendous act of Chessed--and have put your "all" into it-- is truly inspiring and has reminded me about the importance of giving to others and the attitude with which we should give to others.

The second thing that came to mind is a passuk in Tehillim, "kol atzmotai tomarna Hashem mi kamocha"--all of my bones should say to you Hashem, who is like you? (The Gemara in Masechet Brachot actually learns from this passuk that one should bow during Shmoneh Esreh). I think the idea behind this passuk is that all of our limbs--our entire beings--should be involved in Avodat Hashem. While this passuk talks specifically about praising God, I think the idea can be applied to other aspects of Avodat Hashem as well. Heartbeats is a wonderful example of how a person can use her body for singing, dancing, etc. to serve Hashem by performing Chessed.

Yasher Koach again, and I hope that all you blog readers have not only enjoyed watching and listening to Heartbeats, but have taken away from it some important religious lessons as well!

No comments: