Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rabbi Fohrman's Book

I have started the book, and love it so far.  I have run into students who are further ahead than I am who are really enjoying it too.  After an introduction that raises one of my favorite points about learning Tanach (what he referred to here in his Yonah shiur as the Lullaby theory) he opens with the question that bothers me each year: Why is the Megilla so long?  It seems to go on about 3 perakim longer than it should - after what seems like the dramatic conclusion when Haman is executed.  His interim questions are also peshat based - always asking the question, why did s/he do that?  I'm looking forward to the answers.

On Hihurim, my 2nd favorite Torah blog, they quote an excerpt from the middle of the sefer.  I actually don't find this passage as compelling as the part that I read, but I guess it was somewhat self-contained.  Check it out.  If you ordered a book & haven't picked it up, please stop by my office.  and those of you who are reading, please send in your thoughts & insights either in the comments or to questions@maayanot.com.  Happy reading.

No comments: