Monday, January 25, 2010

פותח את ידך Revisited

Almost a year ago, Mrs. Shapiro addressed the following question from Daniella Grodko:
In Ashrei we say, "You open up Your Hand, and satisfy the desire of every living thing." I have learned that this sentence is to be said with much concentration. So much so, that if one does not have Kavanah while saying this sentence, he should repeat it. I don't understand why this line is so focused on. Yes, its a nice idea about G-d but why is it THAT amazing that it should be said again if the first time wasn't so great. I also don't think I can say this sentence truthfully according to the Artscroll's definition. How can I say that G-d satisfies all desires if I don't have everything that I want? 
You can see her response with Rav Hirsch's answer here.   Michal Wiseman recently pointed out that the new Koren siddur ( see another reference to this siddur here) translates the line as follows: "You open Your hand, and satisfy every living thing with Your favor", - with רצון referring to Hashem's desire.  Yasher koach Michal.

And Yasher koach to all of the Why-aanot contributors on reaching our 300th post!

No comments: