Monday, April 12, 2010

A Thought for Yom HaShoah

This is from R' Saks' website chiefrabbi.org:

The oldest question in religion is: “Why do bad things
happen to good people?” But there are two ways of asking
this question. The first is, “Why has God done this to me?”
Never ask this question, because we will never know the
answer. God cares for us, but He also cares for everyone and
everything. We think of now; God thinks of eternity. We
could never see the universe from God’s point of view. So we
will never find the answer to the question: “Why me?”
But there is another way of asking the question. “Given
that this has happened, what does God want me to learn
from it? How is He challenging me to grow? How is He
calling on me to respond?” Asking it this way involves
looking forward, not back. “Why did God do this?” is the
wrong question. The right one is: “How shall I live my life
differently because this has happened?”
That is how to deal with crisis.Wrestle with it, refusing to
let it go until it blesses you, until you emerge stronger, better
or wiser than you were before.

No comments: