Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Avodah Sheb'lev

The next submission for Avodah Sheb'lev is due soon (March 2) on any passage that we say before Mizmor Shir (the beginning of Tefillah for the beginning of the semester).  Here is the last winner:

From Tachanun: “Save us, Hashem our God, and gather us from among the peoples, to give thanks to your Holy Name and to glory in your praise”
By: Zisse Hanfling

It was the first time there was a split second of
Silence
You looked around
and the trucks engine cracked it
they swerved it.
Broke down the barbed wires
Smashed through what the Germans called a home
Soldiers jumped out
and infiltrated the grounds.
Peoples eyes weren’t even amazed
How could it be?
It was a dream I thought
I looked at all the gaunt, wan and pale faces around me
Just searching in there minds
Is this a miracle?
Or is this just a hallucination?
All the times I cried out to god
“where are you”
“why aren’t you here for your nation”
“were we left, and forgotten?”
Tears streaming down my boney face
Fallen on the dirt road that was stroked with blood
But my father’s lonely voice whispered in my head
Right before he was sentenced to his death
“Son, if you live to tell of the tale of the persecution of our
People remember to thank god for me. Tell him you will always follow
His commandments and praise his holy name, for me my son”
From then on I did it.
God might seem to have left us.
God sometimes seems to not love us.
And God can be fearful and mighty.
But HE loves us
But HE formed us
But HE created this world for us
And that alone should make us praise his Holy Name

No comments: