Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Teaching Religious Zionism

Michal Novetsky, Ma'ayanot Class of 2007, asks:

Based on the statement that Zionism expressed to its full potential is Aliyah to Israel, how can the Religious Zionist community in America best teach Zionism? I ask this because in general religious people tend to teach ideals but in this specific example, in the end of the day, there are just some things that contradict. I want to be clear that I'm asking this question not to challenge in any way the community in America, I am asking because I think there is an answer: What is the best way to teach Zionism in America?

We are so pleased, Michal, that you consider yourself a blog-contributing member of the Ma’ayanot community, and we hope that other alumnae are inspired to do the same!

The core values of Religious Zionism inform aliyah, but also exist exclusive of it. They include: Israel as our *God-given*, and not just “historical”, homeland; Medinat Yisrael as the atchalta de-geula; Eretz Yisrael as the place in which we can practice all of Hashem’s mitzvot, and E”Y as not merely a State for Jews, but a Jewish State. (The practical implications of the latter are up for debate, even among the Dati Leumi sector in Israel.) I think a teacher can employ multiple pedagogical approaches in transmitting these values. This is precisely what we are aiming to do within our Modern Jewish History curriculum at Ma’ayanot – through readings, discussions, dramatizations, play-acting, debates, writing assignments, and so on. I would argue that these ideals, absorbed fully (through these various approaches, and reinforced outside of school – at home, in camp, in shul, etc.), are frequently what motivates a person to make aliyah. It seems to me that Diaspora teachers of Religious Zionism can be well qualified and passionate enough to transmit them. Indeed, I would argue that it is our job to do so, as we are the ones teaching Diaspora Jews.

I myself struggle with the reality of believing that I should express my awe of the nes of 1948 by living in Israel, but (for various reasons, as many people have) not doing so. I have no problem sharing that struggle, in broad strokes, with my students – but I also feel I have what to contribute to the Jewish community in the United States, which has, I believe, its own intrinsic value.

These are just a few thoughts, and I personally would welcome others' comments about this issue.


No comments: