Friday, June 18, 2010

Shevet Levi

Maayanot alum Talia Friedman asks:

Why were there so few Leviim? I heard the drash that it is because they were priests, so Pharoah did not enslave them, and hence they did not merit to have so many people
but...
1) they only became priests after the bechorim sinned, so they were not yet priests
2) if Pharoah had respected the priests, the first born sons, he would not have thrown them into the river
3) if Pharoah did respect the Leviim, for whatever reason, then wouldn't he not have thrown their boys into the river, so they would have been the most populous
4) since when do we believe that more suffering causes more children?
 
Please explain this drash to me.
 
I have some thoughts, but let's see what you all come up with in the comments.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is this Drash from Because I heard a different Drash about the Leviim that they didn’t assimilate or something like that so Hashem didnt make them slaves, and in that case I think maybe Hashem wanted the Mitzrayim and the Jews to think that g-d isnt involved with the process of whose a slave, and make it seem natural and not at all supernatural, so he made it seem like the reason the leviim weren’t enslaved is bc there’s so few of them and there not a threat to Pharoah so he doesn’t have to enslave them. HaShems disguising his involvement with the process
Allison

Anonymous said...

i have been thinking about it and maybe
1- I misunderstood the drash
2-Pharoah saw through his magicains magic that the Leviim will ultimately be the priests, and just did not tell Bnei Yisrael that. (I do think this is likely)
3-based on another drash that Pharoah first enticed Bnei Yisrael to work for him and only later it evolved into slavery, maybe the Leviim just did not volunteer. This would mean that even if Levi were not yet the priests they still had distinguished themselves as a unique tribe, so pharoah respected them.


While I am thinking of answers, I feel like my answers are unlikely and I am overlooking a very simple answer.